This letter deals with the Model Code of Conduct, complaints’ monitoring and Law & Order Cell for the ensuing Assembly Election 2011. As we know, with the announcement of West Bengal Assembly Elections 2011, the model code of conduct has come into operation.
It hardly needs to be emphasized that for the smooth conduct of Elections, peaceful atmosphere is needed throughout the election period. The most important factor which negatively impacts the conduct of election and thereby disturbs the electoral ambience is the violation of statutory provisions of election laws relating to correct practices and indulgence in sundry malpractices by some or the other political parties, candidates or their workers. This, apart from vitiating the general atmosphere, also creates problem for the authorities responsible for maintaining law & order.
The ECI has issued detailed guidelines on various aspects of model code of conduct and maintenance of law & order for the smooth, free, fare and peaceful conduct of election. In order to ensure the same, a Model Code of Conduct (MCC) Cell and a Law & Order Cells at district level have been formed. Similar cells at SDO and BDO level should be formed for complying with instructions issued by ECI on the subject. The District Cell shall have the following responsibilities:
- It shall collect all current guidelines, instructions and orders issued by ECI on the subject immediately.
- It shall ensure immediate formation of similar cells at SDO and BDO level.
- It shall ensure the formation of Model Code of Conduct squads in rural and urban areas of the district.
- It shall ensure proper training of the MCC squads immediately.
- It shall ensure proper discharge of their duties through regular monitoring and supervision.
- It shall open a complaint as well as law & order register at district and sub-divisional level. Each complaint whether received verbally, in writing or brought to notice by print/electronic media should be acted promptly at respective level. The details along with the action taken shall be recorded in the register on daily basis.
- The Cell shall coordinate with different election related cells, DEO/ADMs/ROs for ensuring proper implementation of model code of conduct and maintenance of law and order in the district.
- The Cell shall coordinate with the respective police authorities about execution of pending NBWs, preventive detention of the trouble-mongers, liquor raids, seizure of illegal arms/ammunition, deposition of licenses arms with dealers/police stations and such other matters as might be necessary for better law and order maintenance as well as prevention of the norms relating to model code of conduct.
- The Cell shall coordinate with the office of the SP Birbhum to ensure daily receipt of law and order report in the prescribed proforma.
- It shall ensure functioning of complaint monitoring system as per the guidelines issued by the ECI.
- It shall also ensure the daily receipt and dispatch of the desired consolidated reports to the CEO office on daily basis.
With best wishes,
Dr. Saumitra Mohan, IAS.