As we are all aware that the ensuing Assembly Election, 2011 will be held in our district, in a single phase with the date of poll for Birbhum District being on
23rd April, 2011. with all the 11 (Eleven) Assembly Constituencies in our district going to polls on the same day makes the work more daunting, but one is confident that with a good coordination among ourselves, we can very well accomplish this task with ease.
Birbhum district is comprised of 3 (three) Sub-divisions, 19 (nineteen) Blocks and 18 (Eighteen) police stations. Though competent officers provide leadership at Sub-divisional and Block level, yet the importance of close supervision and smooth co-ordination among the functionaries at various levels can not be understated, specially in connection with General Assembly Election, 2011.
In view of what is stated above, it is decided to tag Zonal ADMs with different sub-divisions of the district. The Zonal ADMs, in addition to the duties assigned to them, shall also oversee, monitor and supervise all the administrative/election arrangements of the earmarked outlying sub-divisions and will guide the SDOs and BDOs on behalf of the District Magistrate & District Election Officer, in smooth discharge of their duties.
In particular terms, the Zonal ADMs will immediately:
- Oversee/supervise the process of functioning of a few important election cells at sub-division/block levels depending upon the calendar of important activities given for upcoming elections;
- Supervise the ongoing process of continuous updation of electoral roll, photography of non-EPIC electors, preparation of supplement manuscript etc;
- Ensure proper and proactive functioning of the Model Code of Conduct squads and other teams as formed for expenditure monitoring in rural and urban areas of the respective sub-division in close coordination with the respective district cells;
- Guide the SDOs/BDOs in tying up any loose ends with regards to various arrangements as needed to be made for the upcoming elections;
- Keep liaison with the district election cells on behalf of their respect sub-division as and when needed.
While these are only some of the immediate activities expected from the Zonal ADMs, they are also expected to steadily get involved in the overall process of conduct of elections and will be the Superintendent of the entire process till the results are declared in their respective jurisdictions.
The Zonal ADMs are requested to frequently visit the Sub-divisional/Block offices and are also requested to make occasional night halt, if needed. Their prior familiarization with all details of DC, RC & Counting Venues, will undoubtedly be of great help in smooth conduct of the election.
Apart from keeping the undersigned briefed regarding various developments in their jurisdictions, the Zonal ADMs are also expected to give regular reports to the undersigned highlighting the areas of concern in the allotted sub-division/blocks. On emergent issues, the emergent reports will be welcome.
With the aforesaid background note, the sub-divisions are now allotted to the Superintendent Zonal ADMs in the following manner:
Name of Sub-Division
Name of Zonal ADM-in-charge
Shri Amitava Sengupta, WBCS (Exe), ADM (General)
Shri Soumyajit Das, WBCS (Exe), ADM (ZP)
Shri Shyamasis Roy, WBCS (Exe), ADM (LR)
Sub-divisional Officers and Block Development Officers will please render all help/cooperation and assistance to the Zonal Addl. District Magistrates. Any suggestion from all concerned is always welcome.
With best wishes,
Dr. Saumitra Mohan, IAS
Dr. Saumitra Mohan, IAS